Thursday 31 December 2015

What I Ate in Limassol, Cyprus

As you may already know if you follow me on social media, I went on holiday to Cyprus in October. Typically Lorah, I left my camera in the back of a taxi and luckily I have managed to get it back. When looking through the photos, I quickly realised that the majority of the photos were of food... again, typically Lorah. In view of this, I thought I would give you an overview of what I ate whilst in Limassol, Cyprus.









I was staying with my cousin who lives over there, and her apartment overlooked a bakery called Zorbas - think Greggs mixed with a Cooperative but 10 times better. I used to go to Zorbas pretty much every morning and treat myself to either a ham and cheese croissant or a turkey sausage roll - hey I was on holiday, right?! To the right is the croissant - I'm not sure what makes it so different, but these weren't as flakey as what we get in the UK and had a sweet glaze over the top, they were delicious. Another favourite of mine from Zorbas, but I believe that you can these anywhere in Cyprus or Greece, and it is Kok. Kok is a round dense sponge cake filled with vanilla cream and icing or ganache on top - they were beautiful and so light. 




One of the first nights that we were there, we went to a 5* restaurant as when Ross and I eat out we're always a little money-conscious so we wanted to treat ourselves whilst we were on holiday. This was the Sailor's Rest which is part of the St Raphael Resort in Limassol. It's famous for it's seafood - which surprisingly we didn't get. To start we shared the above cheese and meat platter. We're a sucker for a platter so this seemed perfect, and to be honest I was a little disappointed. There was a relish over everything which had a taste that I didn't enjoy, and the majority of the cheese was just your standard cheddar and then the meat was just like wafer-thin ham you can buy out of Tesco. 








My main was a totally different story. I chose the Lamb Rack with Potato Ravioli and Roasted Vegetables. I am not a massive lamb lover, so i'm not sure what made me chose this dish but it was absolutely delicious. The lamb was perfectly crispy on the outside and tender on the inside with a gorgeous creamy potato ravioli which I have never tried before. It was by far the best dish I had had in a long time!


My favourite night when we were away was when we went to a traditional Greek taverna. My cousin's husband is Cypriot, so he took us a to a local taverna, away from the tourist area and it was incredible. We had Meze which to the UK is just a Greek style tapas - but the real deal is where the constantly bring out different dishes and they'll continue to go on until you tell them that you are full. No one in the restaurant spoke English and that's what made it so special - we were trying genuine Greek food. A couple of dishes that stood out for me was the lamb moussaka and also the grilled halloumi which is my favourite food. 





Zorbas has a sister-company called Pralina which is a dessert cafe. The selection was just incredible - they had stacks and stacks of homemade truffles, macarons and cakes. I ordered the Vanilla Mille-Feuille and it was absolutely delicious. I would have loved to visit there again and take home some macarons for my family but unfortunately we didn't have a chance to go back.




In the Old Castle area of Limassol, there is the cutest little French restaurant called Le Frenchie Bistro. It has cute wrought iron tables and chairs down a small alley and they project black and white silent films onto the wall outside. To start I had some sort of cheese pastry (I can't remember exactly what it was), for the main I had duck confit with rosemary potatoes and vegetables. The duck was so tender and beautifully cooked and the potatoes were lovely. To finish off the meal, I had the chocolate lava cake - and oh my, it was beautiful! 

Another place that I really have the recommend was Zen. This was a sushi restaurant that was part of a plaza called Uptown Square. It has a couple of restaurants and a couple of pubs - it was a really great atmosphere and I highly recommend for a quieter night (although it can get really busy if there's football on!). I didn't manage to take any photos of Zen as I was too busy enjoying the food, but I highly recommend if you like sushi!



Another part of Uptown Square was a pub called Chester's. It is like posh pub grub mixed with cocktails and shisha. To start we had a massive share platter filled with spring rolls, chicken dippers, chicken wings, wedges, garlic bread and onion rings - it was so delicious! For the main I had crispy roasted salmon which was served on a porcini and saffron risotto. It was absolutely delicious and the service and atmosphere in Chester's was really great. 

As we were there for a whole week, we couldn't eat out at fancy restaurants every single night (although we did try) so we did go to TGIs, we even had a cheeky McDonald's and we also had a takeaway the first night we got there from a place called Noodle House - which by the way, ah-mazing. 

I hope you've enjoyed this post! Have you tried any of there places in Limassol? Do you have any recommendations of where to go? Let me know in the comments below. 

Thanks for reading!

Lorah x

Please follow me on Bloglovin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts on this post! I will reply to each and everyone of you :) Many thanks x